There are some Quests which require you to collect specific amounts of ore. Only ore collected from rocks floating in space counts towards the Quest. Ore collected from cargo boxes does not count towards the Quest.
Obtaining Primary OreEdit
Primary Ores are the easiest of Ores to collect and can be obtained by:
- Collecting them in space, while each rock provides 1 unit of the relevant Ore.
- Collecting the Cargo Boxes dropped by destroyed ships (both ally and enemy) and Aliens.
- Building collectors in the Skylab. They cannot be created in a ship's lab.
- As each rock provides only 1 unit of its ore, and even a Streuner provides 10 units of Prometium and Endurium, it's normally only worth collecting rocks for Quests.
- The rocks in space are randomly generated, so there are no fixed coordinates for good ore fields. Ore fields were placed in fixed locations in earlier versions of the game, but this is no longer the case.
- Prometid and Duranium are worth less than the raw materials used to refine them, so if you're close to a base, and you need the Credits, it's better to sell the basic ores than refine them. If your cargo bay is full, or the nearest base is far away, it may be worth refining the raw materials in your ship's lab.
- Primary ores are colored using the primary colors: red(prometium), blue(endurium) and yellow(terbium).